Top 10 College Basketball Rivalries
1. North Carolina vs. Duke - The Battle of Tobacco Road is always that, a battle. Each team has talented squads year in and year out and the fact that their campuses are separated by only 8 miles of highway makes this our #1 choice.
2. Kansas vs. Missouri - Dubbed the Border War, this rivalry dates back to the Civil War and the hatred between the two fan bases hasn't dwindle too much since then. Kansas usually has the more talented squad, but Missouri has been known to pull an upset on more than a few occasions.
3. Kentucky vs. Louisville - Kentucky is one the bluebloods, but always finds themselves trying to keep their instate rival at a distance.
4. Maryland vs. Duke - Maryland has done a great job closing the gap in terms of talent with Duke, but the Blue Devils still seem to hold the edge over the Terrapins. Maryland does pull its fair share of updates though.
5. Texas A&M vs. Texas- You may have immediately thought about football when you saw this matchup, but don't let these traditional football powerhouses fool you, as they have some of the best basketball games year in and year out.
6. Purdue vs. Indiana - The Battle of the Shot Clocks as I like to call it. There may not be a lot of scoring in these games as defense is the key. But these two teams know how to execute and play smart basketball. This instate rivalry always gets the Indiana natives riled up.
7. Cincinnati vs. Xavier - These schools are only 10 minutes apart, which means their fans bases know each other well. These teams may not always be in the Top 25 of the rankings when they meet every year, but the intensity that these games are played at cannot be overlooked.
8. Arizona vs. UCLA - Both of these programs have been down as of late, but their traditions keep them firmly in the Top 10. You will always see athletes galore when you watch this track meet play out.
9. Michigan vs. Michigan State - Michigan has also been down for the past few years, but they are improving. Tom Izzo keeps sending out talented squads which is one of the reasons Michigan State has one won 18 out of the last 21 games against Michigan. It also doesn't hurt when he has a recent Final Four under his belt.
10. Pittsburgh vs. West Virginia - The Backyard Brawl as this is aptly named, looks more like a wrestling match when they hit the hardwood. It came to a head over the last couple of years when West Virginia students started throwing pennies on to the court.